Six months ago today, May 6th 2008 I woke up after a sleepless night, excited and scared. Jim worked from home that morning so we could go to the credit union when it opened and take care of the last detail of the acceptance of our birth mother.
We were told that her due date was this day, yet we knew as with most first pregnancies we could have a few days or even a good week yet before our Kate was to enter this world. As we left the credit union, Jim gave me a sweet kiss and went home to work and check on flights to Utah, promising to get the luggage out so we could start packing that evening.
I decided to take the day to run errands and loitering at Party City, Target, the Mall and Kroger, taking my time allowing myself to daydream about having a baby in my arms. I picked up "It's A Girl" suckers for Chris to take to school, a book and some magazines for the plane, then stopped at Gymboree for a little pink onesie that said, "Baby Sister".
On my way home at 2:15 my cell rang, it was Jim saying, "The agency just called, we need to get on the next plane, R is in labor!" I couldn't believe my ears, I burst into tears and said, "What?" Who gives birth on their due date???
I sped home, and called my mom as I drove, both of us crying and in a full panic! After a 9 year wait, we could finally have a baby.
The the next few hours were a blur of phone calls, travel arrangements, packing and tears. I called Chris at school so I could tell him he was finally going to be a brother, he was as shocked as we were and he will always remember that call and the congratulations from his teachers and friends.
My mom must have broken a few traffic laws based on how quickly she made it to our house. She was going take care of Chris, my friend Judy would take Scout to the Dog Ranch for us, Aunt Charlotte would meet us at the airport and we would be staying with Greg and Sue. Our family and friends did so much to help us we were so grateful and blessed.
By 5:00 we were on the road, packed and ready for our journey to our Kate. But, just before we left, G called and told us that we had a healthy baby girl, born at 12:13 (2:13 our time) was 6lbs 3oz and 18" long. She was here...
We spent the rest of the evening traveling with a layover in Ohio, landing in St. Lake around 12:40 our time. True to her word Aunt Charlotte met us at the airport to lead the way to Greg and Sue's place. Sue had made cookies and she and their daughter Julie welcomed us in as if it was nothing to have last minute guests. We visited until the wee hours of the morning, then regretfully went to bed to wait for morning to come....we were exhausted, and nervous, not knowing if this baby was truly going to be our Kate. Would her birth parents allow us the honor of being her parents. I ended the day with the same prayer a prayed all day, the prayer that never fails, "Thy will be done..." and give me the strength to handle it...
Our first moments with Kate... tomorrow!
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Six Months...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Ohhhh, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!
Oh and to answer your question....Who gives birth on their due date? Me! Once. =)
Post a Comment